Sunday, January 26, 2014

Of MLK and Super Bowl Predictions

Hey, everyone!

Happy MLK day to you too.  It's great to hear about how everyone's doing and that everyone's doing well.  That's also great to hear about Emma's baptism.  I'm sorry about Deb; I hope and pray that she'll be okay. (Emma is an eight-year old in our ward, who was baptized this month.  Deb is Sam's aunt, who was hospitalized with what the doctors think was a severe allergic reaction.  Thankfully, she is recovering.)  Things have been wonderful this past week; we got to go to the Temple, I did Initiatories with a greenie named Elder Jenkins (he's nice, from Idaho like Elder Quayle :) )  We did about nine apiece; we were running a little late for the Endowment session but as we were about to go in, the Temple Workers asked us for help doing Initiatories so that's what we did....I love the Temple and I've come to a greater appreciation for it after reading about the Law of Moses.  I finished the four books in the Missionary Library in about a week, I'm reading the Book of Mormon again, and I recently started reading the Bible; I'm near the end of 1 Samuel.  I sang, "Joseph Smith's First Prayer" in keeping with one of the mission monthly goals of teaching about the Restoration.  I was accompanied by a woman in the ward named Sister Thomas.  She's from Idaho, very cool, very vivacious, in her 60s, recently retired, full of energy, and just a cool lady.  We rehearsed on Saturday night and then again before Sacrament meeting....Many people had their heads bowed in prayer, some were tearing up, the Spirit was just so strong.  It was a tremendous opportunity to be an instrument in the Lord's Hands.  I received nothing but praise from most of the ward members and I confess that I was a little uncomfortable because it was ultimately the Holy Ghost that united us all.  I thanked Sister Thomas for her wonderful support and she thanked me for bearing testimony.  

Our investigator, a homeless 18-year-old named Max who was being fellowshipped by a family in the ward, ended up doing only one lesson with us.  He moved back to Omaha and was recently set for baptism by other missionaries in that area.  Elder Quayle was not happy at first; he felt like the other missionaries were stepping on our toes and he was our only investigator who was making genuine progress, but he figuratively stepped back and was reminded that it was ultimately about Max and the Lord, and we're both happy for him.  We hope that he sticks with it and develops a strong testimony.  We are hopeful for the future; we're galvanizing the ward to do family mission plans and step up their efforts, because as President Monson confirmed, the members must help in the work.  

Thank you for your prayers and thoughts; I continue to feel their power.  I'm staying warm (it's actually warmed up recently, but it'll probably get cold again), we're getting fed, I'm healthy although I did have a sinus headache this morning but I'm feeling better.  I didn't take anything for it....
Tell Dad that that was pretty cool and funny about Peyton Manning's quarterbacking routine.  I think that it'll be cool if the Seahawks win.

I love you all,
Elder McMurray

No comments:

Post a Comment